Tuesday, July 11, 2017

My hooky treasure in Simply Crochet issue 59

Each month in Simply Crochet magazine there is a piece where a designer talks about their most treasured crochet item and earlier this year I was lucky enough to be asked by Simply Crochet to tell them about my most treasured crochet piece, my hooky treasure.
 
In this month’s issue (# 59) of the magazine you can find the interview where I talk about my grandma’s beautiful doily:
 
I can’t tell you how happy I was to see this interview in print! 

Long term readers of this blog might remember that I wrote about this project a couple of years ago when I restored the original doily and made my own version after visiting my grandad one summer.

 
I saw a doily on the window sill that I remembered seeing when I was little and I asked him if my grandma had made it. He told me she had and went over to a drawer and pulled out another, identical one. He told me to I could have it as a reminder of my grandma.
 


The original doily had seen better days, it had lost its shape after years of use, part of it had been ripped and it also had a big tea stain on it.
 
So I set about restoring the original doily by washing it (very carefully!) and blocking it to open up the stitches again.
After I saw the doily I decided I would love to make one too and keep it with my grandmas. So I had a look online to see if there were any similar patterns and I couldn’t believe it when I found the exact pattern she had used, it is called the Irish Rose Doily and is from 1949. As it's now a vintage pattern, it is available free online. You can find the pattern via the ravelry page:
The main doily is made first and that you alternate making roses and leaves and join each on to the doily and previous rose or leaf as you go.
 
My grandma's doily is bigger as it has more rounds and more flowers on the edge. Mine has the same number of rounds the original pattern states. One day in the future I’d like to remake the doily in a silky thread and make it to the same size as my grandma did.
Have you got a special handmade item that has a lot of sentimental value to you?

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful, a real family heirloom.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I remember you making this before, haven't read the article yet, but I will!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, you have written a post that just might be one of my favorites written by anyone!! I love this!
    Thank you very much for the link to the pattern!
    Could I possibly make this? Well, I am gonna give a doggone good try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for taking time to leave a comment! I love reading every single one - they really make my day :) I try to answer each and every comment by email or on your blog.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...